At completion, trainees will have developed a 3-statement model using various supporting schedules and best practices.
In this course, you will develop a 3-statement model completely from scratch, inputting historical data and assumptions to project out financial statements using step-by-step instruction on selecting, locating, and developing appropriate projection drivers. At completion, you will have developed a complete and comprehensive three-statement model using various supporting schedules. By the end of the course, trainees will gain skills that lay the foundation for many other modeling methodologies.
What You Will Learn
- Excel shortcuts and functions frequently used in financial modeling
- Excel settings and formatting best practices for financial modeling
- Creating model plugs via the revolver and cash sweep
- Dealing with circularities in the model
- Building a fully integrated 3-statement model using established forecasting and schedule conventions
- Balancing the model and inserting automated checks
- Perform sensitivity & scenario analysis
- How to efficiently check models for errors, accuracy and integrity
Wall Street Prep’s Basic Package is used at top financial institutions and business schools.
Financial Statement Model: Depreciation Waterfall
Financial Statement Modeling Course Manual Sample
Financial Statement Modeling Template
Intuitive, Self-Paced and Comprehensive
Wall Street Prep’s Basic Self Study Program is intuitive and self-paced. You should expect to spend approximately 20-30 hours to complete it. The program uses online video lessons, Excel model templates and various financial filings to teach students how to build, analyze, and interpret financial models in a step-by-step fashion at their own pace.
Real World “On the Job” Investment Banking Training
The Basic Package bridges the gap between academics and the real world to equip students with the practical financial skill set that they will need on the job. Our program will give you the confidence you need to ace your interviews and to get ahead in your IB career.
Upon enrollment, students gain free, unlimited access to Wall Street Prep’s Online Support Center, where they receive answers to questions, free downloads, and important updates from a support staff comprised entirely of experienced former investment bankers.
Private Online Tutoring (Additional Fee Applies)
Want a little extra attention? Live video-chat tutoring is available with experienced investment bankers for a fee of $199/hour. In addition, your tutoring sessions enable you and your tutor to share models, a virtual blackboard, and any other files via an integrated web and phone platform that enhances the learning experience.
Boost Add-In for Excel
Free Access to Boost, an all-in-one suite of time-saving tools designed for people who build financial models in Excel. Key features include: Attach common number formats to keyboard shortcuts and cycle rapidly through the different font and color schemes; Easily understand long formulas with the powerful ‘Precedents’ and ‘Dependents’ Tool; And much more!
The program assumes a basic introductory knowledge of accounting (e.g. interaction of balance sheet, cash flow, and income statement) and proficiency in Excel. Students with no prior background in Accounting should enroll in the Accounting Crash Course. Students with limited experience using Excel should enroll in the Excel Crash Course.
Full Course Agenda
- Chapter 1: Overview
- Excel Settings for Modeling
- Keyboard Shortcuts
- The Boost Excel Add-In
- Chapter 2: Financial Modeling Best Practices
- Formatting Conventions
- Modeling Best Practices
- Naming, Linking & Deleting Cells
- Model Structure
- Chapter 3: Preparing for the Case Study
- Gathering Documents for Modeling (the “PIB”)
- Apple Case Study Introduction
- Chapter 4: The Income Statement
- Modeling the Historical Income Statement, Part 1
- Modeling the Historical Income Statement, Part 2
- Introduction to Forecasting
- Segment-Level Revenue Forecasting
- Operations Forecasting
- Chapter 5: Forecasting the Balance Sheet: Working Capital
- Inputting the Historical Balance Sheet
- Working Capital Forecasting & Roll-Forward Mechanics
- Accounts Receivable, Part 1
- Accounts Receivable, Part 2
- Accounts Payable
- Accrued Expenses & Deferred Revenue
- Chapter 6: Long Term Assets & Liabilities
- Intangible Assets
- Modeling Intangible Assets
- Modeling PP&E
- Other Balance Sheet Assets
- Modeling Other Current Assets
- Deferred Tax Assets
- Deferred Tax Liabilities
- Other Liabilities
- Modeling Deferred Taxes & Other Balance Sheet Items
- Chapter 7: Debt
- Modeling Debt
- Chapter 8: Balance Sheet Equity
- Capital Stock
- Modeling Capital Stock
- Treasury Stock
- Modeling Treasury Stock
- Retained Earnings and OCI
- Modeling Retained Earnings
- Modeling Other Comprehensive Income
- Linking Schedules Back to the Balance Sheet
- Chapter 9: The Cash Flow Statement
- Cash Flow Statement Introductions
- Review: The Cash Flow Statement
- Cash From Operations
- Modeling Cash from Operations
- Cash From Investing & Other Financing Activities
- Modeling Cash from Investing & Other Financing Activities
- The Lemonade Stand
- Chapter 10: The Model Plugs: Revolver & Cash
- Understanding the Role of the Revolver in Financial Models
- Modeling the Revolver
- Modeling Interest Income
- Dealing with Circularities in Financial Models
- Chapter 11: Earnings Per Share
- Modeling EPS
- Chapter 12: Finishing Touches
- Integrity Checking & Balancing the Model
- Sensitivity Analysis Using Data Tables
- Scenario Analysis
- Chapter 13: Deeper Dives
- Depreciation Waterfall
I purchased the Basic Package to learn 3 statement financial modelling for the purpose of analyzing a company and forecasting future performance. I chose WSP over other providers because I found it easy to understand the videos, liked the professional website layout and thought the free content was useful. The course allowed me to develop new skills I never had before.
I chose WSP because of the course structure and the syllabus, the ease of use and the technical support that is offered. I thought the course was easy to follow and has helped me strengthen financial skills.
I am a professional consultant (+18 years of experience) in the fields of capital budgeting, transport pre-feasibility studies, project finance, etc. The course elements showed prior to the purchase and the users reviews were the deciding factors which helped me choose WSP. Compared to other products that I know or even bought in the past, the value of this one is the best.
I bought the Basic Package to get a better understanding of how the company is being valued by Investment Bankers. I like that the training is online, I can learn at my own pace and time, I also like the teaching methodology. I like that you teach the concepts first then go straight to the spread sheet for illustration. The training has provided me tools and guidelines on how to better evaluate performance of our business units.
I have my CFA and worked as an associate research analyst at an Investment bank for 5 years. I like that the course is broken into small chunks with new excel files for each segment. I feel sharp with my skills and has helped give me confidence for interviewing.
My main goal for the basic package was to get more familiar with financial modeling. I wanted to get more training than what some of my past internships provided and hopefully help me get a full time offer. I have tried other training companies who have provided me so much information it has been overwhelming, I liked your style of teaching much better and enjoyed the shorter videos. The course has made me more confident in interviews.
The main goal for taking the basic package course was to bring me back up to speed on my financial modeling. I was referred by a friend of mine who is in investment banking and said your course was hands down the best. The basic package helped me get up to speed on financial modeling again which will definitely help me in my meetings with customers.
I have taken a few online courses on financial modeling and budgeting and I have found WSP to be the most effective. I thoroughly enjoyed the Basic Package because I felt that it went though every topic step-by-step using a real world examples. Overall, I really enjoyed this course as I learned the proper formatting that I didn’t learn at my job, my only wish is that I knew about the course sooner! I really liked how there was an overview of the topic before modeling, it was a through step by step process that eliminated any confusion or questions.
The Wall Street Prep Quicklesson Series
7 Free Financial Modeling Lessons
Get instant access to video lessons taught by experienced investment bankers. Learn financial statement modeling, DCF, M&A, LBO, Comps and Excel shortcuts.