Equities Markets Certification (EMC©)
This self-paced EMC certification program prepares trainees with the skills they need to succeed as an Equities Markets Trader on either the Buy Side or Sell Side.
Shareable on LinkedIn and in resumes
Finish in 1 month
Recommended pace 2-3 hours/week
The sameprogram used at top banks
- Cash Equities
- Delta One
- Equity Swaps
About this Equities Markets Certification Program
While other Equities Markets courses add formulas and complexity to hide the lack of real-world experience, Wall Street Prep’s Equities Markets Certification was created by former sales and trading professionals focused on what interns, new hires, and early career analysts need to know on the job.
Designed following extensive discussion with hiring managers at major investment banks, we built our Equities Markets program around gaining the practical knowledge needed of growing markets such as ETFs, Delta One and Prime Brokerage.
Taught by Markets Professionals Master how to use the Bloomberg terminal to analyze financial statements, find consensus EPS and monitor short interest.
A Comprehensive ProgramDesigned with input from the largest global investment banks on what Equities Markets salespeople and traders need to know.
Meaningful, Shareable Certification Graduates will receive a blockchain-verified, shareable certification that can easily be added to LinkedIn and resumes.
Frequently Bought Together
Your Path to Certification
This course is career-focused. We begin with an overview of how a individual stocks are traded on an exchange. Then we analyze the drivers of a company's public valuation using the Bloomberg Excel Add-In and the investor relations role; proceed to discuss equity indices and different approaches in the market to invest in these indices including asset managers, ETFs, futures and Delta One; and conclude with a discussion of securities lending and prime brokerage, analyzing how asset managers lend hedge funds the shares to short.
- 1 Cash Equities Week 1
- 2 Equity Valuation Week 1
- 3 Equity Indices, Asset Managers and ETFs Week 2
- 4 Equity Futures and Delta One Week 3
- 5 Hedge Fund Strategies Week 3
- 6 Securities Lending and Prime Brokerage Week 4
Complete in 10 Hours
The EMC is a job-focused program that drills down on what Equities Markets professionals need to know while cutting out the rest. Average completion time (coursework + exam) is 10 hours.
Covering Skills Equities Markets Employers Look For
- Fixed Income Covered
- Bloomberg Covered
- Hedging Covered
- Trading Covered
- Derivatives Covered
Top Jobs the EMC Will Prepare You For
|Position||1st Year Salary + Bonus *|
|Delta One Trader||$135-160,000|
|Buy Side Trader||$105-130,000|
|Hedge Fund Trader||$150-175,000|
|Cash Equities Sales Trader||$100-125,000|
|Cash Equities Sales Researcher||$100-125,000|
|Securities Lending Analyst||$90-115,000|
|Prime Brokerage Analyst||$105-130,000|
* glassdoor.com estimates.
The average starting salary + bonus for Equity Sales & Trading Analysts. See our Sales & Training Salary Guide for more details of the career and pay progression. Data on starting salaries is taken from glassdoor.com U.S. estimates.
What You'll Learn
- Master the technical skills and concepts that Equities traders are expected to know on the trading floor
- Learn how to chart, graph and analyze stocks, indices and futures on Bloomberg
- Speak and understand the trader jargon
- Analyze company financials using the Bloomberg Excel-Add In
- Demystify the Buy-Side business model and learn how Asset Managers and Hedge Funds are paid and their economic drivers and priorities
- Learn how ETF Traders profit from arbitrage opportunities
- Compare funded investment options (Mutual Funds, ETFs) with Unfunded investment Options (Futures and Equity Swaps)
- Discover how derivatives are traded, margined, and hedged
- Understand how to “short a stock” and the Securities Lending process
- Demystify Hedge Fund Trading strategies
The EMC© is the same program used to train new hires at Wall Street's largest investment banks.
WSP trains investment professionals and traders at the world's largest sell-side investment banks and buy-side asset managers.
Our employees are telling us this is the best virtual learning experience they have ever had.
— Associate Director, Learning & Development
Global Investment Bank”
This program includes the following 6 courses
Get the Equities Markets Certification
Trainees are eligible to take the WSP Equities Markets Certification Exam for 24 months from the date of enrollment. Those who complete the exam and score above 70% will receive a the certification. The exam is a challenging online assessment that covers the most difficult concepts taught in the program.
Meet Your Instructor
Eric is the lead instructor for Wall Street Prep’s Capital Markets and Sales & Trading programs. Eric’s financial markets career began after he was a finalist for J.P. Morgan’s Fantasy Futures trading competition. Eric worked at J.P. Morgan for 10 years across DCM, Syndicate and Sales & Trading Roles, including in the Cross Asset Sales & Structuring group with trade execution experience across all asset classes. Eric is an expert in International Markets and Cross-Border transactions with global work experience in New York, London, Hong Kong and Tokyo.
Round Out Your Markets TrainingBuy the FIMC© and EMC© together and save $199
- Buy both programs together for a complete Markets Training Program.
- Gain a real-world understanding of Fixed Income and Equities Markets trading.
- Learn what it takes to become a successful trader on the Buy Side and Sell Side.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How long does it take to complete the full certification program?
Most participants need 10 hours to complete the program, which is approximately 4 weeks at 2-3 hours a week. There are 8+ hours of videos, 7 excel based exercises, 10 quizzes and an hour long certification exam.
- How do you teach Bloomberg?
Skills taught in Bloomberg are divided into bite-sized and searchable videos. The videos are recorded from a start screen with individual functions and keystrokes called out and highlighted to make the process easily replicable. Excel exercises files have the Bloomberg codes and syntax for participants to replicate their analysis on their own stocks and indices.
- Do any Investment Banks use this program to train new-hire salespeople and traders?
Yes – this same material is used to teach new hires at large investment banks across the world. This course was designed based on the needs of investment banks to train new hires, and we’re excited to offer the same materials in a certification program.
- What background knowledge is necessary? Are there any prerequisites needed?
This course is carefully constructed to assume no background knowledge or prerequisites. We balance that with the understanding that the typical learner has a passion for finance and strive for a balance that is not too basic but does not assume prior knowledge.
- Can I enroll in a single course?
Yes – you can enroll in any of the 6 individual courses.
- Do I need to take the courses in a specific order?
No, although the courses are designed to flow in a certain order, they can be taken in individual bite sized lessons. Perfect for the busy professional that needs to quickly learn or reference a specific topic.
Earn CPE Credits with WSP Online Courses
The Wall Street Prep Quicklesson Series
7 Free Financial Modeling Lessons
Get instant access to video lessons taught by experienced investment bankers. Learn financial statement modeling, DCF, M&A, LBO, Comps and Excel shortcuts.